The mission of the Royal Oak Public Library is to be an informational, intellectual, cultural and recreational resource for all people; to inspire the spirit, educate the mind, and be a center of community pride. In keeping with this mission, Royal Oak Public Library provides space for the display notices of public interest submitted by groups, organizations, and governmental units engaged in non-profit educational, cultural, intellectual, civic or charitable activities.
Only ROPL-approved postings will be permitted. Tracts or other publications placed in the library without prior approval will be removed and discarded.
The library reserves the right to determine that a proposed posting meets the guidelines of this policy and to decide the appropriate placement for postings and literature to be distributed. Commercial or partisan political items will not be posted or distributed.
In order to maximize the use of limited display space, time and size restrictions are set:
- Date sensitive items will be posted for 30 days prior to the earliest date indicated on the item, and will be removed and discarded after the latest date has passed.
- Items that are not date sensitive will be made available for no more than 90 days.
Bulletin Board Postings and Posters
- Notices and announcements for the bulletin boards must be 8½x14 inches or smaller.
- A single copy of the announcement or notice will be posted in only one place within the library.
- Library does not accept notices, announcements or posters with "tear-off" sections.
Free Literature Racks
- Except for newspapers and magazines, items must be 8½x14 inches or smaller.
- Materials must be provided in quantities of 5 or more.
Adopted by Library Board: 11/26/1996; revised 5/22/01; revised 9/26/06; reaffirmed 05/27/08; 03/24/09; revised 3/23/10; reviewed 3/22/11; reaffirmed 06/28/16; reaffirmed 05/24/22.