Citizens Police Academy
In 2016, the police department re-established the Royal Oak Citizens Police Academy.
The program is offered to Royal Oak residents through an application process. The program is so popular that typically only one third of applicants are accepted. (TIP: When the course is offered, act quickly in filling out the application. The window to apply is often closed early due to overwhelming interest.)
About the Program
The program is structured to offer residents a unique insight into local law enforcement. The exciting seven-week course typically meets once a week for three hours at the police department. The purpose of the program is to allow residents to become familiar with their police department through classroom instruction and also receive practical, hands on experience.
The well-received Citizens Police Academy offers a first-hand approach gives participants insight into how police officers perform their duties and serve the community. More importantly, the program allows the residents to get to know and build a bond with the men and women of the Royal Oak Police Department.
The academy typically includes:
- Tour of police facilities
- Defensive tactics lesson
- TASER demonstration
- K9 demonstration and a
- Presentation by the Criminal Investigation Division on an actual homicide case
How to Apply
- The application process is announced via the city's website and various social media channels. Sign up for the city's weekly eBlast to be the first to know when the next session is announced.
- The Citizens Police Academy is only offered to residents of Royal Oak
- You must be 18 years of age or older to attend the academy.
- All potential applicants are screened before they are accepted.
- Successful applicants are notified by the police department prior to the start of the program.