Shovel It Forward
As always, the City of Royal Oak is asking all property owners—residential and commercial—to join the Shovel It Forward movement and keep our sidewalks free of snow and ice. When sidewalks are clear, we increase the safety and mobility of everyone – from those with disabilities to your favorite letter carrier.
5 Things You Can Do to Shovel It Forward
- Apply the 7-10 rule. Anytime it snows between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., pledge to clear your walks by 10 p.m. If it snows between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., pledge to clear your walks by 10 a.m.
- Help your elderly or disabled neighbors remove snow and ice from steps and sidewalks.
- Shovel your entire sidewalk. Clear a path at least at least 36-inches wide for people using wheelchairs and strollers to pass.
- If your property is adjacent to curb ramps or bus shelters, pledge to help keep them clear of snow and ice.
- Don’t shovel or push snow into the street.
Thanks in advance for being a snow angel! Be sure to share your stories of ‘shoveling it forward’ on social media using the hashtag #shovelitforward.
Does Anyone Really Walk after a Snowfall?
The answer is, "Yes!" Here's a list of people who are outside every day, regardless of weather conditions, and may need to use the sidewalk in front of your house.
- Police and firefighters responding to an emergency.
- Letter carriers
- Children walking to school
- Dog walkers
- Individuals who do not own a car, are unable to drive or who rely on public transportation
Know someone who wants to keep his or her sidewalk clear but just can’t? Here are some resources,
Royal Oak Senior Emergency Services (R.O.S.E.S): R.O.S.E.S. is a program providing a variety of supportive services to Royal Oak residents age 62 and over and qualify for a subsidy. You must live in your own home—alone, with a spouse, or with a disabled adult child. Seniors living with able-bodied adult children do not qualify for the subsidy assistance. To ascertain household income, please provide your name, most recent Home Heating Credit or Michigan Homestead Property Tax Credit form. If you live in one of the senior high rises, you will need to provide the HUD Tenant Eligibility & Rent Procedures form.
Faith Communities: Some local churches offer snow and ice removal assistance. Call your place of worship to inquire.
Snow Removal Apps
- TaskRabbit - Royal Oak residents can promo code ROYALOAKS10 for $10 off. Good for new users only in the category of yard work and removal. Valid dates 11/16/18 - 3/31/19.
- Plowz & Mow
Report a Concern
To report a residential or commercial property owner who is not clearing sidewalks after a snowfall use this form,
Contact Judy Davids at 248-246-3201.