Leaf Collection Help
2020 Fall Curbside Leaf Collection Schedule
Residents should note that schedules are subject to change due to weather conditions, mechanical breakdowns or other factors beyond the City's control. If collections are ahead of schedule, a truck will be down your street on your regularly scheduled day of pickup. Please note clear/colored plastic bags are no longer acceptable for yard waste, including leaves. Please use the appropriate container.
- 10/26/20 Normandy to N. City Limits -Greenfield to Crooks
- 10/27/20 Webster to Normandy – Greenfield to Woodward
- 10/28/20 13 Mile to Normandy - Woodward to Main
- 10/29/20 13 Mile to N. City Limits - Main to Campbell
- 10/30/20 12 Mile to 13 Mile - Main to Campbell
- 11/02/20 12 Mile to 13 Mile – Crooks to Main
- 11/03/20 12 Mile to 13 Mile - Woodward to Crooks
- 11/04/20 11 Mile to 12 Mile - Woodward to Main
- 11/05/20 11 Mile to 12 Mile - Main to Campbell
- 11/06/20 10 Mile to 12 Mile – Campbell to E. City Limits
- 11/07/20 Lincoln to 11 Mile – Woodward to Campbell (Saturday)
- 11/09/20 10 Mile to Lincoln – W. City Limits to Campbell
- 11/10/20 13 Mile to 14 Mile – Greenfield to Woodward
- 11/11/20 13 Mile to 14 Mile - Woodward to Coolidge
- 11/12/20 Normandy to N. City Limits – Coolidge to Crooks
- 11/13/20 13 Mile to Normandy – Coolidge to Main
- 11/16/20 12 Mile to Woodside - Main to Rochester
- 11/17/20 13 Mile to 14 Mile – Rochester to Campbell
- 11/18/20 12 Mile to 13 Mile – Rochester to Campbell
- 11/19/20 12 Mile to 13 Mile – Crooks to Main
- 11/20/20 Webster to 13 Mile - Greenfield to Crooks
- 11/23/20 12 Mile to Webster - Woodward to Crooks
- 11/24/20 Catalpa to 12 Mile – Woodward to Main
- 11/25/20 11 Mile to Gardenia – Campbell to Stephenson &
- Gardenia to 12 Mile – Main to Stephenson
- 11/26/20 HAPPY THANKSGIVING (no collection)
- 11/27/20 11 Mile to Gardenia – Main to Campbell
- 11/30/20 11 Mile to Catalpa – Woodward to Main
- 12/01/20 10 Mile to 11 Mile – W. City Limit to Main
- 12/02/20 Lincoln to 11 Mile – Main to Campbell
- 12/03/20 10 Mile to 11 Mile - Campbell to E. City Limits
- 12/04/20 10 Mile to Lincoln - Main to Campbell
Every attempt will be made to make a third pick up, however this is strictly dependent upon the weather. After December 18, 2020 leaves and yard waste will NOT be picked up either curbside or on your regularly scheduled refuse day. Either hold onto yard waste until the program begins April 5, 2021 or residents will be allowed to take a limited number of bags to SOCRRA between December 21, 2020 and April 2, 2021 for disposal. Please call (248) 288-5150 for more information.
The City Needs Your Help For A Smooth Leaf Collection
The large number of trees in Royal Oak make the fall leaf collection a major task; to make it happen the City uses 13 dump trucks, two sweepers and a front-end loader with an attached clam bucket. Crews work long hours to cover the 212 miles of streets twice during the 6 week pick-up season.
The City has to wait until late October to begin the process to make sure most of the leaves are down, unfortunately Mother Nature doesn't cooperate some years.
Also, the City starts at a different end of the City each year as a matter of fairness.
No Street Parking
Royal Oak will post signs in neighborhood streets, just off of major thoroughfares, notifying residents that leaf pick-up will be in the neighborhood the following day. The signs ask residents to park cars off the street because cars in the street can slow down the trucks and make it impossible to pick-up leaves in front of the residence where the car is parked.
"It's important to be considerate of your neighbors," said Aaron Filipski, Director of Public Service. "A parked car left out front doesn't just affect one house, the trucks have to go around and sometimes they also can't pick-up neighbors' leaves."
Temporary no-parking signs (limit 2) are available at the Department of Public Service (DPS), 1600 North Campbell Road (located on the East side of Campbell, just South of 12 Mile Rd) M - F 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The signs are not enforceable but may help remind people to park off the street.
Schedules are available at the Department of Public Service, cable channel 17 on Comcast or channel 10 on WOW, the Insight magazine and on the City’s website. Information is also available by calling the DPS during regular business hours, M - F, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at (248) 246-3300 select option 2, then option 1.
Other Ways of Disposal
Leaves, any soft yard waste and woody material up to 2" in diameter may be placed at curbside in a 32-gallon container with a yard waste decal facing the street or a brown paper landscape bag for pick-up on your regular rubbish day thru the third week of December. Please set to the curb by 7:00 a.m.
Please Help - Only Put Leaves Out!!
Just as important as keeping cars off the streets on leaf pick-up days is removing sticks, rocks, pieces of wood and other hard objects from leaf piles because they can damage propellers in the leaf vacuums which could cause downtime thus delaying leaf pick-up.
Where They Go
Leaves go to the Southeastern Oakland County Resource Recovery Authority (SOCRRA) compost facility in Rochester Hills where they are turned into humus-rich compost. The compost is then offered to residents in SOCRRA member communities.
What to Do After Leaf Pickup
The entire city is covered twice in the six-week leaf collection period. Every attempt will be made to make a third pick-up, however, this is strictly dependent upon the weather. After the third week in December leaves will not be picked-up either curbside or on your regularly scheduled refuse day. Resident need to hold onto their yard waste until the program begins April 1st of each year.