Refuse, recycling and yard waste (when in season) collection is performed by an outside contractor, GFL Environmental and is administered through the Department of Public Service. Please call (248) 246-3300 or email DPS@romi.gov for missed garbage, recycling, and yard waste pickups.
Questions on how to dispose of an item? Search for an answer using Waste Wizard!
How Is Pick-Up Paid For?
Trash, recycling and yard waste (when in season) is included in your taxes.
Refuse, recycling, and yard waste (when in season) is collected once each week. Collection is between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. Have all material placed at the curb no later than 7:00 a.m. or after 5:00 p.m. the night before your collection day per ordinance. Emptied containers must be removed from the curb as soon as possible after collection.
Please note that:
- The contractor is not allowed to reach into any container to dislodge contents.
- The waste hauler can change routes at any time and if material is not out by 7:00 a.m. then it will need to wait until your next collection day.
- The weight of any refuse bag cannot exceed 40 pounds each, trash container cannot exceed 60 pounds each and yard waste containers cannot exceed 50 pounds. Other items must be put out accordingly. Please call the Department of Public Service at (248) 246-3300 with questions.
- For trash collection residents may use the blue 64 gallon cart (provided by the City of Royal Oak), a personal container 20-32 gallon, or trash bags 13-30 gallons. Undersized containers (20 gallons and under) may be considered expendable and may be thrown out with the rubbish. All trash in the carts need to be bagged.
- For recycling collection residents may use the green 64 gallon cart (provided by the City of Royal Oak) or the old green 18 gallon container (which are no longer available). All recycling in the carts need to be loose.
- Business Recycling: To receive a 95-gallon container for your business please call the Department of Public Service.
- For yard waste collection (when in season) residents may use a personal container 20-32 gallon with a SOCRRA Compost sticker placed visibly on it or 20-32 gallon paper yard waste bags. Compost stickers can be picked up from the Department of Public Service at 1600 N Campbell Rd.
- If you have a newly constructed home or if your cart was damaged, please call the Public Service Department at (248) 246-3300 or email DPS@romi.gov.
- Yard waste cannot be mixed with trash at any time due to State law.
- No sharps please.
6200 Elmridge Sterling Heights, MI 48313 Phone: 866-772-8900 Email