As the United States moves to normalize relations with Cuba, enjoy some novels written about Cuban life and Cuban-Americans. Recent additions to the library's collection include the novel A Corner of the World by Mylene Fernandez-Pintado, a contemporary love story set in Havana that has characters asking, "Do I stay or do I go?" Also, the library has added the Cuban science fiction classic A Legend of the Future by Agustin de Rojas, and another title by Cuban author Leonard Padura – his 2009 novel The Man Who Loved Dogs. Enjoy the following list of titles.
Step back into time with discounted passes to the Michigan Renaissance Festival (weekends from August 22nd to October 4th) courtesy of The Library Network and the Royal Oak Public Library!
Since 1979, the Michigan Renaissance Festival has been entertaining thousands of visitors every year. Now in its 37th year and better than ever, the festival features a 17 acre recreation of a renaissance village where attendees of all ages can enjoy authentic live music, a wide array of artists and performers, great food and drinks, and more than 300 artisan shops. Royal Oak Public library patrons will eligible for the following discounted rates:
- Adult (age 13 and up) Regular: $21.95 W/ Discount: $16:95
- Children (age 5-12) Regular: $12.95 W/Discount: $9:95
Use these codes during check out
- The password is: MRF2015
- The promo code: TLN15
Check out the original article here and then check out or request one of the titles!
- The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Margo Rabb, author of the new YA novel Kissing in America, compiled a list of Classic Feminist YA everyone should read. Check out the original article on The Huffington Post and then check out one of the books.
Odilo provides libraries with a different channel for eBook lending, incorporating library-created content, as well as content from midlist, emerging, small, independent and self-publishers. With titles from more than 500 publishers worldwide, Odilo provides a rich catalog for users to explore!
Odilo allows seamless lending of digital content (eBooks, eAudio, eVideo) using industry standards. It has an attractive web interface that uses AJAX technology, making it suitable on mobile devices, tablets, ereaders, and PCs.
To access Odilo, you will need to log on with your library card number and PIN.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is Nubereader?
A. This is ODILO's powerful HTML5 cloud-based reader that allows you to enjoy digital reading like never before, with features such as notes taking, highlighting, notes sharing, device synchronization, and many other features.
Q: What devices can I read from?
A: You can enjoy digital content a variety of devices, including Chromebook, PC and Mac® computers, iPhone®, iPad®, and iPod® touch, Android™, and many eBook readers such as Sony® Reader, Barnes & Noble NOOK™, Kobo eReader, and Amazon® Kindle eReaders.
Q: Is there a mobile reading app?
A: Yes, there are Android, iOS and Windows 8.x mobile apps. EPUB and/or PDF eBooks can be also be enjoyed using the Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software. ODILO's device agnostic browser app allows you to read from any device, including Kindles.
Q: Do I need an Adobe ID to register the Odilo reading app?
A: No Adobe ID is required. Patrons simply fill in their state, choose their library name from a dropdown menu, library barcode and PIN.
Q: How can I read from a Kindle?
A: Reading from Android powered Kindles is available using the ODILO App or cloud-based reader, Nubereader. The ODILO Cloud Reader also works for Kindle e-ink devices with a browser and Wi-Fi or 3G/4G connection.
Q: Do I download audiobooks like eBooks?
A: No. Currently, Audiobooks are available only through streaming.
Q: Can I make the eBook more like a large print book?
A: Yes. You control whatever you want your reading experience to be, whether font size, brightness, spacing, making notes, adding bookmarks, etc.
Q: How many titles can I check out?
A: Currently, you may check out up to 6 titles.
Q: How long do I have the title for?
A: The default lending period for Odilo titles is 14 days.
Q: How do I return my materials?
A: At the end of the lending period, titles automatically ‘expire’ and return to the library collection.
Q: Can I renew a title I already have checked out?
A: No. But if there is not a hold on the title, you can just check it right back out.
Q: Can I choose my own lending period?
A: Yes, you can choose the lending period for each title: 7, 14, or 21 days.
Q: Can I return eBooks early?
A: Yes, but the titles are automatically checked in when the lending period expires so you don't need to manually return the materials.
Q: How will I know that my hold on an eBook is ready?
A: If you place a hold on an eBook, you will be emailed when it is ready for pickup.
Q: Are there any late fees on eBooks?
Q: Can I read the same book from multiple devices?
A: Yes. The ODILOTK digital library automatically syncs to all your devices that have the ODILOApp. You can checkout and start reading an eBook on your iPad. Continue later on your PC, if you want to take notes. Pick up right where you have left off again on your Android device or phone. (Up to 6 different devices allowed)
Q: Can I print pages from the e-books or print my bookmarks?
A: No, at this time there is no option to print content from the e-books.
Q: Can I customize my reading experience and change my reading options?
A: Yes, you can change your font size, line spacing, background color, font style, add bookmarks, make notes, highlight text and more.
Enjoy programs and prizes as we celebrate a summer of great reading. Plenty of titles in a variety of formats will be available to help you Escape the Ordinary -- whether it’s enjoying adventures in foreign lands; reading an intriguing figure’s memoir; or visiting an alternate world created by a novelist. And, of course, you’re always welcome to dip into the latest fun “beach reads,” thrillers, or hot romances.
Adult summer reading sign-up will start Saturday, June 6, at 10:00 am -- the same time as youth program registration.
2015 Summer Reading Recommendations
We heard your requests and now it’s arrived! The Royal Oak Public Library proudly announces our newest service: Zinio!
Do you love reading magazines? If you do, Zinio is what you’ve been waiting for. All you need is a Royal Oak Library card and an internet connection. You can choose from several hundred popular and current magazines, access back issues of selected titles, and download them to your mobile device or read them on your computer – for free!
Want more information? Visit the library and talk to a librarian, call the library at (248) 246-3727 or visit the Zinio website for more information!
ROPL has received Federal Tax Forms 1040, 1040 A and 1040 EZ. The IRS is not sending public libraries instruction booklets or any specialty forms this year due to Congressional budget cuts. ROPL has a master copy of federal tax forms that patrons can photocopy. Please phone the adult reference desk at 248-246-3727 if you have questions regarding the availability of tax forms and instructions.
The Library has received the 2014 Michigan 1040 form (with booklet) and the MI 2014 Home Heating Credit Form (with booklet).
IRS – Call to Get Forms and Publications – 1-800-829-3676
Income Tax Preparation Help
Households with low- and moderate- incomes can receive tax prep help from the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) at the Mahany/Meininger Senior Community Center on Mondays and Wednesdays, from February 3 and April 13. The program is geared toward seniors, but there are no age restrictions. Doors open at 9 am. No appointments are needed. The “first come, first served” rule applies. The center is located at 3500 Marais Avenue, north of 13 Mile Road, just south of Lexington Blvd., east of Crooks Road. A checklist of what you need to bring.
Michigan online information and forms:
- Michigan - Income Tax Forms by Year
- Michigan - Check my Income Tax Info
- Michigan - New developments for Tax Year 2014
IRS 2014 Forms and Instructions:
- Searchable List of Forms: Documents in Numerical Order
- Form 1040 (2 pages)
- Form 1040A (2 pages)
- Form 1040A Instructions (82 pages)
- Form 1040EZ (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 1040EZ (41 pages)
- Form 1040-ES: Estimated Taxes (11 pages)
- Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax (General Rules for Filing an Income Tax Form) (286+ pages)
- Form 8962: Premium Tax Credit (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 8962 (15 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule A: Itemized Deductions (1 page)
- Instructions Form 1040 Schedule A (18 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule B: Interest and Ordinary Dividends (2 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule C: Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship) (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 1040 Schedule C (17 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule D: Capital Gains and Losses (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 1040 Schedule D (16 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule E: Supplemental Income and Losses (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 1040 Schedule E (12 pages)
- Form 1040 or 1040A Schedule EIC: Earned Income Tax Credit (2 pages)
- Form 1040 or 1040A Schedule R: Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled (2 pages)
- Form 1040 Schedule SE: Self-Employment Tax (2 pages)
- Instructions Form 1040 Schedule SE (6 pages)
- Form 1040 or 1040A Schedule 8812: Child Tax Credit (2 pages)
- Form 1040 V: Payment Voucher (2 pages)
- Form 2106: Employee Business Expenses (2 pages)
- Form 2106-EZ: Unreimbursed Employee Business Expenses (4 pages)
- Form 2441: Child Care and Dependent Care Expenses (1040 or 1040A) (2 pages)
- Form 4868: Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (4 pages)
- Form 8822: Change of Address (2 pages)
- Form 8863: Education Credits (American Opportunity & Lifetime Learning Credits) (2 pages)
- Form 8880: Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions (2 pages)
- Form 8949: Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets (2 pages)
Show your Royal Oak pride with a T-shirt with the new city logo. Great gift idea! Available exclusively in the Friends Shop inside Royal Oak Public Library.
- T-shirts (variety of sizes) - $10
The Friends Shop is open:
- Monday: 10 AM - 8 PM
- Wednesday : 10 AM - 3 PM
- Thursday: Noon - 8 PM
- Saturday: 10 AM - 3 PM