IT Coordinator & Webmaster
Host of Monday Night Walk-In Technology Help Sessions
The Royal Oak Public Library, in cooperation with the Royal Oak Neighborhood Schools and the Kiwanis Club of Royal Oak, has been a partner in the national Reading is Fundamental Program for more than 30 years. This Reading is Fundamental Program provides free books to fourth graders during the school year, and to children ages birth through sixth grade during the summer.
For teachers and group leaders we offer:
- scheduled library visits for your preschool, class, scout, or homeschool group.
- assistance in gathering materials for your lesson planning.
- a homework alert service to keep us informed of current assignments for students.
- extended borrowing privileges for Royal Oak School District teachers.
Royal Oak Teachers
Teachers, administrative staff and other professional staff in the Royal Oak School District may register for borrowing privileges at the Royal Oak Public Library whether or not they live in Royal Oak. These extended privileges do not extend to Student Teachers.
In some cases, materials may be kept for longer than the usual loan periods, assuming they might be needed for curricular or classroom development. The current extended loan periods are as follows:
|Material||Extended Loan Period||Usual Loan Period||# Renewals Allowed|
|Adult/YA/Juvenile Books||9 Weeks||3 Weeks||0|
|Magazines||2 Weeks||3 Weeks||1|
All other material loan periods and renewal limits are the same as those for all Royal Oak Public Library resident patrons. All usual fines, rental fees and materials replacement fees will also apply.
Give the library staff a heads-up about upcoming assignments that may bring a lot of students to the library with the Assignment Alert Form. Download the form and fax it to 248-246-3701. Mary Karshner, Head of Youth and Teen Services, welcomes your questions and comments. Contact Mary Karshner online or by phone at 248-246-3710.
Royal Oak Public Library cards are issued without discrimination to Royal Oak residents for library services. The Royal Oak Public Library requires official identification showing the resident's name and permanent address.
Administered by the Library of Michigan in partnership with Michigan's libraries of all types, the Michigan eLibrary provides all Michigan residents with an easy-to-use interlibrary loan system to allow Michigan residents to borrow books and other library materials for free from participating Michigan libraries.
Please visit the City of Royal Oak Human Resources website for other current City postings and applications.
The Friends of the Royal Oak Public Library Board is elected from the membership at the annual meeting each September. Terms are three (3) years long. The Friends Board meets monthly on the third Monday in the Library.
- Margaret Blount, President (9/2015)
- Ann Barbour, Vice President (9/2015)
- Larry Baker, Treasurer/Book Sale (9/2016)
- John Pelegrino, Corresponding Secretary/Social Media (9/2017)
- Roxanne Plater, Friends Shop (9/2016)
- Melissa Kaunelis, Membership & Publicity/Newsletter (9/2017)
- Lyndsay Sloan, Recording Secretary & Publicity/Newsletter (9/2016)
- Jenni Beljak, Member-at-Large (9/2015)
- Kathleen Marcaccio, Member-at-Large (9/2015)
- Vanessa Salliotte, Member-at-Large (9/2016)
- Mary Beer, Member-at-Large (9/2017)
- Beth Sowulewski, Member-at-Large (9/2017)
Royal Oak Public Library Board is composed of nine (9) trustees, appointed by the Mayor. Responsible to the City Commission, the Library Board has direct responsibility for administration of the Library through adoption of policies, long range planning, development of the library budget, oversight of library finances and employment and evaluation of the library director. The Library Board meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm in the Friends Auditorium.
Check out our featured paperbacks selections. Sign up to get this list delivered to your inbox when the list gets updated.
Check out our featured trade paperbacks selections. Sign up to get this list delivered to your inbox when the list gets updated.
Check out our featured Non-fiction selections. Sign up to get this list delivered to your inbox when the list gets updated.