Six masterpieces from the DIA’s collection are coming to Royal Oak this summer. Beginning June 29th, high-quality reproductions of paintings from the Detroit Institute of Arts’ collection will find a temporary outdoor home in locations around downtown. Each high-quality reproduction will be in the original size on Lumacore Vinyl mounted in weather proof ornate wood. Programs, both announced in advance and spontaneous, will be held by the Royal Oak Commission for the Arts in conjunction with the DIA. Previous programs in other communities have included docent-led walking and biking tours, musical shows, and talks at local libraries. This year, Inside|Out will feature a high-tech treasure hunt in which players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, placed near the reproductions using GPS-enabled devices.
Adult Summer Reading registration begins Saturday, June 9 at 10:00 AM in the Friends Auditorium at the same time children and teens are signing up for summer reading.This year’s theme salutes the joys of what you can find Between the Covers. The focus will be books exploring all things pertaining to night, be it the power of dreams or the beauty of the stars in the sky. Our prize raffles will be back and there will be plenty of bookmarks with suggested reads tied to our theme.
Read for fun, read for information, surf the web, listen to audio books, come to our summer activities at the library. Enter our weekly prize drawings! Choose a free book!
It’s easy: for every hour of reading, surfing the web, or listening to audio books, and/or attending or assisting a summer program at the Library, fill out an entry form and you are eligible for the weekly prize drawing. Finish a book? Attend a teen program or help with a youth program at the Library? Fill out a form that enters you into the grand prize drawing to be chosen at our Teen Summer Reading Finale on Thursday, August 2.
Registration begins Saturday, June 9. In-person registration only on June 9; starting June 11 online, by phone, or in person.
Questions? Contact Amy Staples at 248-246-3725.
Saturday, June 9 - Friday, July 27. Stories, Books, Live Animals, Puppets, Music, Magic, Crafts and Plenty of Reading Ideas and Choices!
Join us for activities beginning at 10:00 AM on Saturday, June 9!
- Traveling Farm with live animals
- Live Music provided by Suzuki students and Detroit School of Rock and Pop
- American Girl Doll Raffle
- Tumbling and Physical Activities sponsored by South Oakland YMCA
- Register for Summer Reading in the Friends Auditorium
- Opening Day Festivities are sponsored by OUR Credit Union
- June is Aphasia Awareness Month
- PushPLAY Presents Battle of the Books: In Support of ROPL & FPL
- Royal Oak Public Library Changes Hours and Fines
- Butterfly Garden Art Exhibition
- New Downloadable Child-Safe Browser Available
- Praxair Grant Announcement
- 2012 Michigan Notable Book Author Featured
- Park & Read 2012
Page 3 of 24