Update from ROPL on the status of Kindle titles on OverDrive (edited 2/27/2012):
Many book publishers were not happy with OverDrive's decision to allow the checkout of Kindle titles to be routed through Amazon's website. This is a huge breach of library patron privacy as checkouts are being handled by a 3rd party. As a result of the relationship between OverDrive and Amazon, many publishers have removed their Kindle titles from OverDrive or have put limits on how they are to be downloaded.
For Kindle titles on OverDrive, there are currently two possible methods for acquiring titles. The following messages are displayed in the descriptions of the titles on OverDrive.
The first message says "Use on: Kindles and free Kindle apps". This means that the title can be downloaded wirelessly to your Kindle device or Kindle app on your Apple or Android device. An alternative method is that it can be downloaded and transferred via USB to a Kindle device only.
The second message says "Use on: Kindles and free Kindle apps via USB only". This is an incorrect statement as they can only be downloaded and transfered to a Kindle device, not an app on your Apple of Android device. I called and spoke to OverDrive support and they confirmed the incorrect message. They are working to change the message to something like "Use on: Kindle devices via USB only."
Step 2 - Check out, download, and enjoy
- Browse or search OverDrive for Kindle eBooks. When you find a title you're interested in, add it to the BookBag and check it out.
- If you come across a title that you are interested in checking out later, you can add it to your 'Wish List' and save it for later or checkout the same day.
- If a title is not available, you can place it on hold. You will receive an e-mail once your title is available for checkout. You then have 3 days to checkout the available title. You can place up to 10 titles on hold at a time.
- Once you have checked out a title, a Get for Kindle button is displayed. Click this button to be redirected to Amazon.com.
- Sign-in with your Amazon.com account. This will be the same account you used when registering your Kindle or Kindle App.
- Choose which device you would like to read the eBook on.
- You may have 10 titles checked out at a time.
- You will never accrue late fees with titles you download from OverDrive. Titles expire at the end of the 14-day loan period, and they are automatically returned to the library. The title will remain on your device, but will not play anymore. You will have to delete it manually.
- Titles cannot be renewed, but you can check them out again if they are available when the checkout period ends.
- Go to www.amazon.com.
- Click "Start here" at the top of the page.
- Sign in with your Amazon account.
- Click on "Your Digital Items" on the top-right side of the page.
- Click on "Manage Your Kindle" on the left side of the page.
- Titles checked out using OverDrive will have an orange "public library" note next to them.
- For the titles you want to return early, click on "Actions..." and then "Return this book".