As of February 10, 2011, the Library has received the Michigan tax forms and the Federal 1040 Instruction Booklets.
The federal government will not be mailing forms to individuals this year. Also, due to a Congress decision on tax issues late in December, the IRS is facing delays in printing and shipping of many of the 2010 tax forms and tax preparation booklets. As a result of this delay, libraries do not expect most forms and booklets until some time in February. The Library does have a limited number and types of forms now. However, if you cannot wait until February, you can place phone orders at 800-829-3676 or you can request forms and publications online at www.irs.gov. The forms and publications will be sent to you by U.S. Mail.
You may also download and print off tax forms on your own. The IRS website, the State of Michigan website, and City of Detroit website provides forms, instructions, and publications available to download and print. You can also find tax assistance on this page (some free & some for nominal fee). For more information, please see the links below.
- City of Detroit Tax Forms - Find links to the City Of Detroit Tax Forms and important phone numbers.
- Michigan Department of Treasury Forms - Find links to State Of Michigan Tax Forms for individuals and businesses.
- IRS: Internal Revenue Services - This forms and publications resource page is the official source of IRS tax products. Users may find links to tax forms and publications, search by topic, and find links to previous years' forms.
- IRS: Small Business Tax Information - The I.R.S. provides short video clips on a variety of topics are dedicated to helping your small business.
- Online Ordering for Information Returns and Employer Returns - Tax forms for businesses are free and easy to order and have delivered right to your door! You can order online or call toll-free 1-800-829-4933 to order forms. Forms usually arrive within a week.
- AARP Tax-Aide Sites for Seniors - From February 1 through April 15 each year, the AARP Tax-Aide program offers free one-on-one counseling, as well as assistance on the telephone and internet to help individuals prepare basic tax forms, including the 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ and other standard schedules. Visit the website and search by zip code to find the nearest site.
- MichiganEIC.org - Michigan has a variety of free tax preparation services available to assist individuals (within certain income requirements) with their taxes. Sites are listed by county.
- Michigan Senior Centers - This site provides a list of Senior Centers in Michigan. Note: each center has it's own specialty of services--contact the center to find out if they provide tax preparation assistance.
- Free Tax Preparation Sites in Michigan - Listed by County