Longtime voice of the Detroit Tigers, Ernie Harwell, died May 4th. He was 92 and had been battling cancer for over a year.
Harwell was honored in 2009 by the Tigers for his 40 years of broadcasting. Beloved by baseball fans across the nation, and especially in Michigan, Harwell will be greatly missed. The Detroit Free Press put together an impressive obituary, along with a collection of articles celebrating Harwell's life. The Free Press has also included two slide shows, Best of Ernie Harwell and A Tribute to Ernie Harwell.
Be sure to come into the library and check out our collection of Ernie Harwell books and biographies.
There will be a public viewing at Comerica Park on Thursday at Gate A, starting at 7 am (more information).
- How to pay your respects to Ernie Harwell (Free Press)
- Harwell 'a true legend in Baseball, in life' (MLB)
- Legendary broadcaster Ernie Harwell dies at 92 (Detroit News)
- Listen to Ernie Harwell's Complete Reading of The Game for All America (Michigan Radio)
- Legendary Tigers Broadcaster Ernie Harwell Dies at 92 (Michigan Radio)
- Remembering Ernie Harwell by John U. Bacon (Michigan Radio)
- Ernie Harwell: Gone now, but never forgotten by Mitch Albom (Free Press)
- Harwell's passing felt in Tigers clubhouse (MLB)
- Detroit Tigers Harwell Tribute (Tigers.com)
- Ernie Harwell, Homespun Baseball Broadcaster, Dies at 92 (New York Times)
- Ernie Harwell and the story of baseball (Washington Post)
- Legendary broadcaster Ernie Harwell, of Washington, Ga., dies (Augusta Chronicle)